Have you ever found yourself musing over the origins of your favourite breakfast cereal, the humble corn flake?
No? Well, we’re here to tell you anyway.
The reason behind the original – and now much-loved recipe – was to act as an ‘anti-masturbatory’ morning meal. We break down why.
Why were corn flakes invented?
The popular cereal was first made back in 1894 by John Harvey Kellogg.
It was originally created as a healthy food for the patients of the sanitarium in which he worked, and its inception was functional: it was supposed to be healthy and deliberately bland.
It seems odd that someone make a deliberately tasteless food, but it was all part of an extreme diet – promoted by his church – aimed at suppressing passion.
He was a Seventh-day Adventist, a branch of Christianity which advocated a strict vegetarian diet devoid of alcohol, caffeine or meat.
In addition, Kellogg was a fervent believer of abstinence and believed sex and masturbation were unhealthy and abnormal.
In his book, Plain Facts for Old and Young: Embracing the Natural History and Hygiene of Organic Life he described what he saw as the negative effects of masturbation.
He cited mood swings, bad posture, acne, baldness, stiff joints, palpitations as well as a taste for spicy food to be the side affects of the ‘double abominable’ crime.
To fight off any potential desire, he worked on ways people could curb sexual impulses including creating corn flakes, as well as a contraption which ran water through the bowel before following it with yogurt, delivered between the mouth and anus.
Luckily, only the corn flakes caught on.
His original recipe contained no sugar, so would have no doubt been less palatable than today’s version.
The more you know…
MORE: Kellogg’s worker jailed for peeing on cereal conveyor belt
MORE: Kellogg’s launches beer made from leftover Corn Flakes to reduce food waste
- How do voodoo Dolls work
- Hows the SUV Mahindra TUV300
- Do narcissists use a lot of flattery
- Who was the shortest NFL MVP
- Is France becoming permanently ungovernable
- What are harmonics in electricity
- What is the academic year
- What is the concept of strategy implementation
- Is Linkin Park a real band
- What are the consequences of urine infection?no_redirect=1
- What mistakes killed your business
- Whats the standard definition for morals
- Did Benito Mussolini hate Jews
- Why are typographical errors called typos
- What is “kernel version”?no_redirect=1
- Why are Anglo Saxon societies gynocentric
- Hows the first day at DTU?no_redirect=1