First Khmer capital establishedYasovarman I becomes king and
establishes the first official capital of the Khmer Empire at Yasodharapura.
Civil War at AngkorCivil war breaks out in Angkor as rival leaders compete for control of the Khmer Empire.
The Khmer Empire in crisisThe empire is divided as several contenders fight to gain control.
Angkor lootedThe capital at Angkor is looted by the Champa Kingdom (modern day Vietnam.) The Champa defeat the Khmer and burn parts of the Angkor region.
The Champa are driven out of AngkorJayavarman VII becomes King of the Khmer Empire. The Cham are defeated and driven out of Angkor.Under Jayavarman VII’s rule many temples and hospitals are built and the road system develops rapidly; Buddhism becomes the official religion of the empire.
A new capital for the Khmer EmpireA new capital city called Angkor Thom (‘great city’) is built by Jayavarman VII
Angkor abandonedThe Thai army attacks Angkor and the Khmer abandoned the capital and re-established a new capital in Phnom Penh.
- Period: to
The Khmer Empire, Birth and DeathKing Jayavarman II forces a number of
small Khmer kingdoms to unite,
Thus founding the Khmer Empire. He declares
himself Chakravartin (‘ruler of the
world’) and Hinduism becomes the official
religion of the empire.
The Empire ended almost 800 years later when the Siamese king attacked and defeated the Khmer Empire in 1593AD.
- Period: to
Angkor WatAngkor Wat was built by slaves during the reign of Suryavarman II, he was considered one of the greatest of the Khmer Kings.
Angkor Wat was originally a Hindu temple, dedicated to the God Vishnu, built as the king's state temple and capital city.
- Period: to
Buddhism renouncedRule of Jayavarman VIII. His biggest legacy was to renounce Buddhism and order that all Buddhist temples and images be destroyed in favour of a return to Hinduism.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Timetoast timelines, All rights reserved.
- Why doesnt anyone answer my questions here
- When are most college applications due
- What has Arvind Kejriwal done for India
- What is a CNC machinist
- Have you used music to heal yourself
- Is Bangladesh an ethnostate
- What is oolong tea used for
- Can an ozone molecule be cyclic
- Does homemade soap kill germs
- How is Malaysian culture unique
- How do the hearing aids work?no_redirect=1
- What screams I m a unemployed ruffian
- Why do people drink 0 alcohol beers
- Who is Mayanti Langer
- Is my accent normal
- What are the negative aspects of television
- What is in the fantasy world
- What is the first mathematics question
- What is New Hampshires NFL team