Where can I renew a green card

A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) is issued to all permanent residents as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States. If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times.

This page gives you a brief summary of the top actions a permanent resident may need to do after receiving a Green Card.

Renewing Your 10-Year Green Card

You should renew your Green Card if you are a permanent resident and your card is valid for 10 years and is either expired or will expire within the next 6 months. You may begin the renewal process by:

See more information on renewing your Green Card.

Note: Do NOT file Form I-90 if you have a 2-Year Green Card.

Removing Conditions on Your 2-Year Green Card

Conditional permanent residents must file a petition to remove conditions during the 90 days before the card expires.

A 2-Year card cannot be renewed. The conditions must be removed or you will lose your permanent resident status.

A conditional permanent resident receives a Green Card valid for 2 years. To remain a permanent resident:

See more information on removing conditions on your Green Card.

Replacing Your Card

You should file Form I-90 to replace your Green Card if:

  • You were issued a card valid for 10 years that has expired or will expire within six months.
  • You have a Green Card that does not have an expiration date on it and want to replace it.
  • Your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
  • You were issued a card valid for 10 years before you turned 14 years old, and it will not expire before your 16th birthday.
  • Your card was issued with incorrect data (name, DOB, issued date) due to USCIS administrative error.

See more information on replacing your Green Card.

Reminders about Green Card Benefits

You can use your Green Card to:

  • Prove employment eligibility in the United States when completing the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
  • Apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license.

A Green Card is valid for readmission to the United States after a trip abroad if you do not leave for longer than 1 year. If your trip will last longer than 1 year, a reentry permit is needed.

Visit Settling in the U.S. for information on many different topics about living in the United States and a welcoming guide in multiple languages for new permanent residents.

Related Links

More Information


Other USCIS Links

External Links