Je‧ho′vah) [the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha‧wah′ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”].
The personal name of God. (Isa 42:8; 54:5) Though Scripturally designated by such descriptive titles as “God,” “Sovereign Lord,” “Creator,” “Father,” “the Almighty,” and “the Most High,” his personality and attributes—who and what he is—are fully summed up and expressed only in this personal name.—Ps 83:18.
Correct Pronunciation of the Divine Name. “Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars. The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te‧tra-, meaning “four,” and gram′ma, “letter”). These four letters (written from right to left) are הוהי and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).
The Hebrew consonants of the name are therefore known. The question is, Which vowels are to be combined with those consonants? Vowel points did not come into use in Hebrew until the second half of the first millennium C.E. Furthermore, because of a religious superstition that had begun centuries earlier, the vowel pointing found in Hebrew manuscripts does not provide the key for determining which vowels should appear in the divine name.
If you are interested i have an article called 'Jehovah or Yahweh' which i could email to you, its just too long to put on here.
Source(s): Insight on the scriptures
- What is thread safety in Python
- Can Synthroid cause depression
- What is best Telugu Serial
- Should you drink Gatorade before a sport
- What is wrong with Angola?no_redirect=1
- Can acoustic neuromas ever become malignant
- Is BJP anti Muslim
- What is the smallest fighter jet
- Did man make himself
- What is the function of sprinkler irrigation
- Is it true that lefties are smarter
- What is meant by cyclical stock markets
- Who is a foodie
- Is being a misanthrope a psychological disorder
- From where can I buy sliding doors
- Is TiVo successful
- Do you like Marianne Williamsons books
- Is Naruto Uzumaki Genius