We receive free products to review and participate in affiliate programs. See our disclosure page for more information.
There are plenty of reasons why people sleep hot; it could be that their heater is on blast or their bedding is too heavy. Another common culprit? Mattresses!
Some types of mattresses, such as those that feature memory foam, have a tendency to sleep hot and direct it back at sleepers; this can cause people to wake up in the middle of the night, covered in sweat.
That being said, there are a number of mattresses that are a particularly good match for hot sleepers. Out of the numerous mattresses I have reviewed, I found seven that should make for a cooler night of sleep!
Read on for my list of the best cooling mattresses!
7 Picks For Best Cooling Mattress
Helix will customize a mattress to meet each customer's needs; they can make a mattress more cooling for hot sleepers.
Best Foam Mattress
The Nolah's proprietary AirFoam is a cooling and responsive alternative to traditional memory foam.
The Purple's gel grid promotes airflow through the mattress, making for an almost completely temperature-neutral sleeping surface.
Cooling Memory Foam
The Amerisleep mattresses feature bio-based and open-celled memory foam that are designed to dissipate heat.
The Saatva is an innerspring mattress that allows for a good amount of airflow; this keeps the mattress from trapping too much heat.
The Zenhaven is a flippable, all-natural latex mattress that is both eco-friendly, supportive, and natural cooling.
Cooling Phase Change Material
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora is a comfortable mattress that contains effective cooling materials such as Phase Change Material.
Top Picks Compared
The following seven mattresses should all be good options for hot sleepers. However, there is no one right mattress for all hot sleepers; keep reading to see our list broken down by mattress construction and cooling materials.
Mattress shopping can be an extremely daunting affair; for those customers who just can’t decide on what they want or need, Helix is there to help. Logging onto their website, customers have two options – they can participate in a sleep quiz or select from one of Helix’s many mattress models – for those who take the sleep quiz, Helix will customize a mattress based on their answers.
During the sleep quiz, customers will answer questions regarding sleeping position, sleeping partners and, yes, even sleep temperature; people who sleep hot can just check that box, and Helix will send a mattress that is breathable and designed to sleep cool!
Those who are particularly worried about sleeping hot can also opt for a Helix Luxe upgrade; this adds several hundred dollars to the price tag but comes with more high-end materials such as a breathable, cooling Tencel cover.
With the Helix mattresses, hot sleepers of various sleeping positions and body types should find what they are looking for!
What Makes Helix Stand Out?
- Helix is all about flexibility and customization; customers have numerous mattresses to choose from or can take a sleep quiz, and the company will send the best mattress.
- Hot sleepers can specify that they require a cooling mattress during their sleep quiz, and Helix will accommodate.
- The Luxe upgrade to any Helix mattress includes a Tencel cover which will add another level of cooling.
Read the full Helix mattress review
Get $125 Off
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper; customers can get $75 off a Helix mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY75 at checkout or $125 off a mattress plus one other product with code CLARITY125 at checkout.
Best Foam Mattress
Some foam mattresses, especially those that feature memory foam, are known for sleeping hot; in order to combat this issue, many mattress companies create their own proprietary foams that are designed to sleep cooler. One such company is Nolah – their original mattress contains AirFoam, a proprietary foam that is free of the heat-trapping chemicals found in memory foam – because of this the mattress should sleep quite cool.
The AirFoam is also made to offer pressure relief superior to that found in standard memory foam mattresses; we put the mattress to the test and, based on our pressure map results, the Nolah does offer fantastic pressure relief for light- and medium-weight side sleepers. Also, back sleepers who are not on the heavier side will find the mattress is supportive enough.
Another major drawback of memory foam is that is can “trap” sleepers when they sink into the foam, making it significantly more difficult to reposition at night; the AirFoam is also responsive, so it makes it much easier to move around.
Those who are looking for an extremely comfortable mattress but don’t want to sleep hot or get stuck should consider the Nolah mattress!
What Makes Nolah Stand Out?
- The Nolah mattress is one of the most comfortable all-foam mattresses on the market.
- The mattress’s proprietary AirFoam should sleep cooler than many types of memory foam.
- The AirFoam is responsive and pressure-relieving at the same time; side sleepers should feel comfortable but shouldn’t have trouble moving around.
- The Nolah is a particularly good match for light- and medium-weight sleepers.
Read the full Nolah mattress review
Nolah has a VERY comfortable mattress that is especially good for side sleepers. You can get $125 off the Nolah by clicking the link below and using code MATTRESSCLARITY.
The Purple mattresses are some of the most popular mattresses currently on the market – their popularity comes from their unique, proprietary hyper-elastic gel polymer. The original Purple mattress features 2″ of this material in the comfort layer; it provides both comfort and support.
The hyper-elastic gel polymer forms a gel grid that, at first, feels very firm and supportive; however, once enough pressure is applied to a specific area, just that spot will collapse. This construction makes the Purple ideal for combination sleepers; the gel grid will feel more supportive for back and stomach sleepers and more pressure-relieving for side sleepers.
The other great thing about this gel grid is that it doesn’t sleep hot! Just looking underneath the cover of the Purple, one can see the large air channels created by the gel grid – the material itself shouldn’t trap heat and should also promote a massive amount of airflow through the mattress – the Purple should sleep completely temperature-neutral.
Those who need a mattress for multiple sleeping positions and don’t want to overheat should take a look at the Purple mattress.
What Makes Purple Stand Out?
- It contains a gel grid that is both supportive and pressure-relieving at the same time.
- The Purple should be a great mattress for combination sleepers and those who switch positions at night.
- The gel grid promotes airflow through the mattress, creating a temperature-neutral sleeping surface.
- The hyper-elastic gel polymer is extremely durable; the mattress should be a fantastic long-term investment.
Read the full Purple mattress review
Purple Mattress Deals
Purple is an innovative mattress that is a great fit for all three sleeping positions and doesn't sleep hot. You can get the best current deal on the Purple mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Cooling Memory Foam
I mentioned above that memory foam is not always the best when it comes to sleeping cool – that being said, there are still some fantastic memory foam mattresses for hot sleepers – the Amerisleep mattresses are some great examples.
All of the Amerisleep mattresses are designed to sleep cool in a number of ways. They feature bio-based foams that are also open-celled; they are free of those heat-trapping chemicals and the open-celled construction allows for more airflow. The mattresses also feature air channels in their design; this promotes additional airflow through the mattress. Lastly, the Amerisleep mattresses feature a Celliant cover which helps keep the top of the mattress cool.
Amerisleep offers five mattresses with varying firmnesses; they go from the AS1 (firm and better for stomach sleeping) all the way to the AS5 (extremely soft and better for side sleeping). I am personally an enormous fan of the Amerisleep AS4 mattress and found it to be a fantastic match for side sleeping.
People who just love the feeling of memory foam but want to ensure they don’t sleep hot are going to love what they find with the Amerisleep mattresses.
What Makes Amerisleep Stand Out?
- All of their mattresses are memory foam mattresses with cooling features; people get the soft memory foam experience without overheating at night.
- Amerisleep offers five mattresses that should work for a variety of different sleepers.
- The memory foam found in these mattresses is responsive, so sleepers should not complain about getting trapped in the mattress.
Read the full Amerisleep AS4 mattress review
Amerisleep is a perfect choice if you want a memory foam mattress but don't want to sleep cool. All their mattresses are very comfortable as well. You can get $250 off Amerisleep mattresses simply by clicking the link below.
Many of the mattresses already mentioned have more of that soft foam feel; what about those who prefer something like a traditional innerspring mattress? Well, that’s why I wanted to add the Saatva mattress to this list; it is an innerspring mattress with two sets of coils and a soft, Euro-style pillow top.
Coils are something that hot sleepers should consider in a mattress because they allow room for airflow; with its dual layer of coils, the Saatva promotes a fantastic amount of airflow. This will help keep the Saatva from holding onto so much heat and directing it back at sleepers.
Lying on the Saatva, it feels more like one is sleeping on top of the mattress, not inside it – sinking into a soft memory foam mattress, less of one’s body is exposed to cooling air – on the Saatva, more air is allowed to flow over the body.
Also, with its coils and pillow top, the Saatva features an excellent balance of comfort and support; this makes the mattress ideal for combination sleepers. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers will receive the requisite amount of support from the coils; side sleepers will get enough pressure relief from the pillow top.
Hot sleepers who like the feel of an innerspring mattress should look no further than the Saatva.
What Makes Saatva Stand Out?
- The mattress features two sets of steel coils that promote airflow throughout the mattress.
- The Saatva should be an excellent option for combination sleepers.
- It is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top and has a very traditional look and feel.
Read the full Saatva mattress review
Saatva Mattress Deals
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can get the best current deal on Saatva simply by clicking the link below.
People who are looking for something organic and eco-friendly should pay attention; the Zenhaven is an all-natural mattress that features four layers of Talalay latex. While Talalay latex is not the most affordable mattress material, it is naturally very breathable; Talalay latex foam isn’t going to trap heat like memory foam is known to do.
It is also a flippable mattress, so sleepers can choose from a soft side and a firm side; both sides are generally supportive, and back and stomach sleepers are going to find one of them to be a good fit. Flipping the mattress, sleepers will be able to hone in on the right amount of firmness.
The Zenhaven mattress is also free of harmful chemicals; this is both eco-friendly and also good for people who only want to sleep on all-natural materials. People who want to sleep clean, clear, and cool will definitely like the Zenhaven.
What Makes The Zenhaven Stand Out?
- The mattress contains Talalay latex, a material that is naturally breathable and cooling.
- The Zenhaven is organic, eco-friendly, and a good choice for those who want something all-natural.
- The mattress is flippable, offering two firmnesses in one mattress.
- Talalay latex is a particularly durable material; the Zenhaven should be a good long-term investment.
Read the full Zenhaven mattress review
Zenhaven is an all-natural latex mattress that is innovative and has an excellent match of comfort and support. Get the best deal on Zenhaven by clicking the button below.
Cooling Phase Change Material
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
The Aurora mattress comes from Brooklyn Bedding, producer of high-quality, value mattresses; the company owns its own factory, allowing Brooklyn Bedding to sell their mattresses at a very affordable price. The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora is a hybrid mattress that is near the higher end of the company’s set of mattresses.
There is a lot to love about the Aurora, but its cooling features really stand out. First, it features TitanCool in the cover; this is a phase change material that is cool to the touch and actually changes its physical state to help people sleep cooler! The top layer of CopperFlex foam is, as the name suggests, infused with copper; this material is a conductor and will help draw heat away from the body. Add in the airflow-promoting coils, and that is one cool-sleeping mattress!
At 13.5″ tall, the Aurora is a substantial mattress; much of the mattress consists of comfort material, so it should be a good option for side sleepers of many sizes. Also, with its supportive coils, the mattress should work for the majority of back sleepers.
Hot sleepers who are looking for a very comfortable mattress that is a good fit for people of many sizes should love the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora.
What Makes Aurora Stand Out?
- The mattress contains a number of cooling materials that should keep sleepers from overheating.
- The Aurora comes from Brooklyn Bedding, so it is a quality mattress sold for a value price.
- The mattress features a thick comfort layer that should offer pressure relief even to heavier side sleepers.
- Back sleepers should also find enough support on the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora mattress.
Read the full Aurora mattress review
Get 20% Off
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora is a luxury mattress that a lot of people will like. You can get 20% off the Aurora mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY20 at checkout.
Best For Heavyweight Sleepers
If people are heavier and want a cooling mattress, they will want to consider a few additional things.
In particular, they need to make sure the mattress is going to be durable because the mattress will need to be able to handle extra weight over time without sagging or compressing too quickly. Some of the online mattress offerings, for example, are made for people 200 lbs or less.
We think the Purple Hybrid Premier 4″ mattress is a great choice for hot sleepers who are also heavier:
- The Purple Hybrid Premier 4″ has the same gel material as the original Purple mattress (which we wrote about earlier in this article), which means people get a temperature-neutral sleeping surface.
- Consumers also get 4″ of the gel material, which means heavier sleepers are unlikely to bottom out and feel any pressure.
- The spring system is highly supportive, and overall it will be a very durable mattress (even for heavy people).
Best For Side Sleepers
In addition to seeking out a mattress that can keep consumers cool at night, people will also want to find a mattress that is a good fit for their sleeping position. If they are a side sleeper, then they will want to get a mattress that is a little bit softer- than-average and has a thicker comfort layer.
The Nolah is a great fit for side sleeping for a few reasons:
- It sleeps temperature-neutral, so people won’t have to worry about overheating at night.
- The mattress is softer-than-average, and the material in its top layer does an excellent job of relieving pressure. I didn’t feel pressure on the hips and shoulders when I slept on it, and it excelled during our pressure map testing.
I would take a look at the Nolah if people don’t want to overheat and they sleep mainly on their side, so long as they aren’t too heavy.
Best Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam is a very well-liked mattress material because it can be super comfortable, and it relieves pressure extremely well (probably better than just about any other material). As a result, memory foam has become extremely popular, and we are seeing more and more memory foam mattresses hit the market. The biggest complaint people have about memory foam is its propensity to trap heat, but luckily, manufacturers have found many clever ways to address this issue.
We think the Amerisleep AS4 is probably the best memory foam mattress for cooling for a number of reasons:
- It uses a Celliant cover, which can potentially offer certain health benefits in addition to regulating temperature.
- The memory foam is open-celled, meaning it is much more breathable than the average memory foam mattress.
- There are air channels in the second layer that allow for additional airflow throughout the mattress.
- The memory foam is partially bio-based, which further improves breathability and adds an eco-friendly touch to the construction.
All told, the Amerisleep AS4 is a memory foam mattress that sleeps remarkably cool and is an excellent fit for side and heavier sleepers.
Heavyweight Sleepers – Over 230 lbs
It is always important to consider one’s size and weight when shopping for a mattress; for instance, a mattress that might work for someone of my size (5’9” and 160 lbs) might not be the best option for a larger person. To get the perspective of a larger person, I asked Marten (6’7” and 250 lbs) to offer his take on these mattresses:
I am a larger person and a hot sleeper, and I believe six of these mattresses are going to be a good option for sleepers like me. First off, there are the Helix mattresses; as Joe mentioned, the company will customize a mattress to meet each sleeper’s specific needs. For larger people, they offer the Helix Plus which is very supportive and comfortable; customers can also upgrade to the Luxe version for extra cooling.
The Purple is great because the gel grid allows for massives amounts of airflow; I sleep completely temperature-neutral and the durable, supportive gel grid can definitely handle my weight when I am back and stomach sleeping. In addition, it even gives me great pressure relief while I’m side sleeping!
The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora and Amerisleep AS4 are great mattresses for heavier side sleepers who also sleep hot – they both feature particularly thick comfort layers that fantastic pressure relief for someone of my size – they also contain foams that are made to dissipate heat so that I am not overheating at night.
The Zenhaven is an all-natural mattress that is supportive enough for someone of my size; the latex is supportive enough for me when I am back sleeping and stomach sleeping, and it doesn’t make me sleep hot.
Finally, the Saatva mattress features two sets of steel coils that provide an excellent amount of support; they also promote airflow through the mattress so that I am not sleeping too hot.
Additional Tips For Sleeping Cool
Beyond finding that perfect cooling mattress, there are a few other bedding and mattress products that hot sleepers should be looking for.
Consider The BedJet For Extra Cooling
The BedJet is a device that offers climate control for the bed by blowing air directly into the bed; sleepers can control the temperature of this air. That means if people are cold, they can blow hot air into the bed, and if they are warm, they can blow cold air into the bed.
A premium alternative to the BedJet is the WinkBeds coolControl.
Consider A Cooling Mattress Protector Or Mattress Pad.
- Is the CBAP exam worth it
- Which is the biggest Walmart in California
- Have you ever met Tom Brady
- Will the Clinton Foundation be exposed
- Do you feel truly confident these days
- Can you make a haiku
- When is a raccoons bedtime
- Is the brigade visa a legitimate organisation
- Which actors real name is Walter Matasschansayasky
- How prevalent is homelessness in Switzerland
- How can God and cancer exist simultaneously
- Do you ever urinate in the sink
- How do Googles machine learning algorithms work
- Is potassium chloride alkaline or acidic
- Can we form a wormhole on earth
- Why my doctor always prescribes me amoxicillin
- What is supplementary physical quantity
- Do happy teenagers exist
- How many best friends do you need