Nigeria is a culturally, politically and religiously diverse country. Today Nigeria has almost 30 officially registered parties and a multi-party system. This data is derived from INEC, an independent collegial body in charge of organization and conduction of elections. And moreover, the new types of political parties in Nigeria are appearing.
What is a political party?
The political parties occupy a special place in political life, serving as a mediator between citizens and a state. Let’s deal with political party definition in more detail.
The political party is continuously operating organization, existing both at the national and local levels. The goal of this organization is a getting and exercise of power and striving to achieve a wide massive support.
READ ALSO:Our region lacks accountable leadership - Niger Delta youths
The political parties unit the most active representatives of social groups with similar political and ideological groups striving to state power.
How many political parties are in Nigeria?
There are two main political parties in Nigeria: Peoples Democratic Parties and All Progressive Congress. However, today, there are 28 political parties in the country apart from these parties:
- The Social Democratic Party
- Independent Democrats
- African Peoples Alliance
- Democratic People Party
- Labour Part
- Mega Progressive People Party
- Unity Party of Nigeria
- Democratic Peoples Progress
- Kowa Party
- New Nigeria People Party
- Hope Democratic Party
- United Progressive Party
- African Democratic Congress
- New Nigeria Peoples Party
- National Conscience Party
- Citizens Popular Party
- Independent Democrats
- Action Alliance
- Advanced Congress of Democrats
- United Democratic Party
- Alliance Congress Party of Nigeria
- All Progressive Grand Alliance
- Fresh Democratic Party
- People Party of Nigeria
- People for Democratic Change
- Advanced People Democratic Alliance
- Peoples Democratic Movement
Who formed the first political party in Nigeria
Herbert Macaulay who was well known in Nigeria politics in the 20th century formed the first party in 1923. It was called The Nigerian National Democratic Party. This organization helped to develop Nigerian’s economy, education and social life. The political party was a leader until 1938. Then it faced competition from Youth Nigerian Movement.
Functions of political parties
- analysis of the state and theoretical assessment of society’s prospect for development;
- identification of the interests of different social groups;
- development of strategy and ways of struggle for renewing society.
- dissemination of party’s worldview and moral values;
- involvement of citizens to join the party;
- promotion of party’s goals and policies.
- power struggle;
- participation in domestic and foreign policy;
- implementation of electoral programs;
- conducting of election campaigns;
- selection of candidates for elected office, personnel for the government, central and local leadership.
Today, the ruling party of Nigeria is Peoples Democratic Party. There is also information of forming new Mega Party. It will consist of former members of two above-mentioned main Nigeria’s parties. The new organization of Dokpesi who is the PDP former member, is called APDA.
READ ALSO:We are not part of Obasanjo's meeting - Labour Party declares
- Who plays Harry Potter Wizard Unite
- What is consistency of soil
- Could supersymmetry just be wrong
- Are other peoples intuition better
- How is throughput in LTE calculated
- Is consciousness objective or subjective?no_redirect=1
- Are Indians happy in USA
- Is SRM Ramapuram good for BBA
- Who were the Navajos
- What are the benefits from using biofertilizers
- How can I make my ear bleed
- What is an associate research analyst
- Can programmers earn online
- How does a Christian glorify God
- What does furnished upon request mean