Which plants self-pollinate?
Most plants use cross pollination. Those that use insects as pollinators tend to have brightly colored flowers and an attractive scent. Those that are pollinated by the wind have long stamens and pistils with small or no petals.
Plants that use self pollination, such as peanuts, tend to have smaller flowers. Some plants that cross pollinate are also capable of self pollination if cross pollination is unsuccessful. These include peas, orchids and sunflowers.
Examples of plants that use insects for cross-pollination include apples, plums, pears, raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, runner beans, pumpkins, daffodils, tulips, heather, lavender, and most flowering plants.
Examples of plants that use wind for cross pollination include grasses, catkins, dandelions, maple trees, and goat’s beard.
Examples of self-pollinating plants include wheat, barley, oats, rice, tomatoes, potatoes, apricots and peaches. Many plants that are capable of self-pollinating can also be cross pollinated.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Cross pollination is advantageous because it allows for diversity in the species, as the genetic information of different plants are combined. However, it relies on the existence of pollinators that will travel from plant to plant.
Self pollination leads to more uniform progeny, meaning that the species is, for example, less resistant as a whole to disease. However, it does not need to expend energy on attracting pollinators and can spread beyond areas where suitable pollinators can be found.
Share this comparison:
If you read this far, you should follow us:
"Cross Pollination vs Self Pollination." Diffen.com. Diffen LLC, n.d. Web. 30 Jan 2020. < >
- How do I ace university college finals
- What is a facultative intracellular parasite
- Can you recommend some jazz orchestra music
- Which superhero movies are overrated
- Insects How can mosquitos have 47 teeth
- How do I stay healthy naturally?no_redirect=1
- What do you want to eat tomorrow
- Is RMK a good engineering college
- How does the Japanese diet promote longevity
- What are the most shocking selfies
- What is your best order on Fiverr
- Why dont we make petrol chemically
- What is the checklist for payroll processing
- Who wants to read my poem
- Why does Britain tax so much
- Are some languages more verbose than others
- Are URLs and URLs the same thing
- Why do people make false accusations?no_redirect=1
- Is there a spirit world after death