From the 1970-1980s, the Indian government was promoting the AGMARK certification on Doordarshan. It is also named as “Agricultural Mark certification” made on all the agricultural products under the Agricultural Products. An effort was made to create awareness and advertise among general sections about the value of certification for various agricultural products. When we discuss s the food products there are acts like the FSSAI Act 2006 as well. They assure that food product we consume is quality food free from toxic substances. The latest standards that deal with food products are FSSAI license and AGMARK. Get to know the differences between these standards from here. But first, we will discuss AGMARK in detail.
AGMARK: Meaning, requirement & benefits
Meaning of AGMARK
AGMARK is a certification mark applied to agricultural products in India. Ensuring that they adhere to a set of standards established by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection. It is an attached office of the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare under the Ministry of Agricultural & Farmers Welfare an agency of the Government of India. It also complies with the rules and regulations of the Agricultural Produce (Grading & Marking) Act, 1937 & a 1987 Amendment.
It is a mark approved by the government of India for all agricultural products assuring their good quality along with standard. It is a mixture of two words which are AG and MARK. AG proposes agriculture and MARK indicates a certification. It’s standard covers agricultural product which has been described as to cover all products of agriculture. Even including the horticulture, all food items or drink and partly manufactured from any such products, and fleeces and the skins of animals.
The group-wise breakup of commodities is represented in the following name of the group and number of commodities notified :
- Food grain and allied products- 30
- Fruits and Vegetables- 51
- Spices and condiments- 27
- Edible Nuts-8
- Oil Seeds-17
- Vegetable Oils and Fats-19
- Oil cakes-8
- Essential oils-8
- Fiber crops-5
- Livestock, Dairy, and poultry products-10
- Other products-30
In complete it involves about 213 commodities including cereals, pulses, vegetable oil, and other semi-processed goods.
This mark ensures that all the agricultural goods reach the standard ensured by the government. AGMARK is India’s government quality certification mark. All the producers don’t require to apply this mark on their products. It is used only on those products which affect the health and safety of the consumers.
Requirement of Application Proceedings of Agmark :
- A copy of the test report which is duly authenticated, from independent Agmark recognized laboratory.
- Document which authenticates the establishment of the firm (like Registration by Company Registrar)
- Memorandum of association ( when the applicant is a company)
- Partnership deed a written document including rules & regulation of the partnership ( when the applicant is a partnership firm )
- List and name the products for which the company required AGMARK standardization.
- Name of the applicant should also be mentioned
- Name of the Firm or the Company
- Address of the Firm or the Company
- Product sample must be submitted in small sachets.
- Total gross product in K.g. for last year should also be mentioned
- Turnover of last year of the company
- Demand draft of Rs.1000
- Map of the factory or the office
- Memorandum of the company which represents its objective and the powers
- Company registration certificate
- List of machinery
- Trademark registration certificate
Benefits of having AGMARK on food products :
- Agmark adds legal advantages. It is a quality certification for agricultural produce by the Government of India, under Agricultural Produce Grading and Marketing Act, 1937 revised in 1986. Agmark certified product must show an Insignia of Agmark directed by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection(DMI), an agency of Government of India.
- To make the products comparable in the international market the grading standards are fixed keeping in view the terms of WTO.
- Agmark certification is an optional certification except it is made mandatory as per the provision of Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on Sales) Regulation 2011.
FSSAI License: Meaning, requirement & benefits
The FSSAI license is a process in which all the food business operators (FBOs) are provided with the certification. As in the certification means their food product quality is good and healthy for consumption. When the approval is given then an FSSAI applicant will receive a 14 digit FSSAI License number which is applied on food packages along with FSSAI Logo. The FBOs have to register under the regulatory body FSSAI. FSSAI is well known as the Food Authority of India. The full form of FSSAI is the Food Saftey and Standards Authority of India. The FSSAI issues the FSSAI license and looks over the food security in India. There are 2 types of FSSAI License and 1 basic registration. Apply for the FSSAI License based on your business yearly turnover.
1) Basic FSSAI Registration: The annual turnover of the food business is up to Rs.12 lakh.
2) State FSSAI Registration: Annual Turnover of the food business is between Rs.12 lakh- Rs.20 crore.
3) Central FSSAI License: Annual Turnover of the food business is more than Rs.20 crore.
FSSAI has its head office and headquarters in New Delhi. One can apply online for FSSAI Application. FSSAI License is mandatory to obtain by all food businesses operating in India including importer and exporters of food products.
Requirement of Application Proceedings of FSSAI License:
- Form A or Form B duly completed and signed
- Plan of the processing unit
- List of Directors or Partners (Address, contact details and photo ID)
- Name and list of equipment and machinery
- List of food category to be manufactured
- Authority letter
- Analysis report of water to be used
- Source of raw material for milk, meat, etc
- Recall plan wherever applicable
- Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU
- NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI
- IE code document issued by DGFT
- Form IX
- Certificate from Ministry of Tourism
- Proof of possession of premises
- Partnership deed/ affidavit of proprietorship
- NOC and copy of License from the manufacturer
- Food safety management system plan or certificate
- NOC from the municipality or local body
- Supporting document for proof of turnover and transportation
- Declaration form
Benefits of having FSSAI License on food products :
- FSSAI License has legal benefits as it is registered under the Food Saftey and Standard Authority of India. This will build trust over the customers and encourage them to buy products.
- Even there is a strict inspection of the manufacturing, processing, distribution, and storage of food products. This also includes importing and exporting food products. There are quality control and checks.
- When you get a 14 digits FSSAI license number you can get them printed on the food packages along with FSSAI Logo. This a certification that food products are fit for human consumption.
Difference between AGMARK and FSSAI License
The following table will make you understand the point of differentiation :
|Meaning||AGMARK is a certification that is compulsorily made on all agricultural products in India.||FSSAI License is getting the certification of the quality food and adulteration free food products.|
|Establishment Under||Established under agriculture produce i.e grading and marking the act of India,1937.||Established under the Food safety and standard Act, 2006 and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.|
|Coverage (Food Products)||In, present AGMAR standards cover quality guidelines for 205 different commodities such as variation of Pulses, Cereals, essential oils, vegetable oil, etc.||It includes all the food products for some standards have prescribed while a lot of them have to abide by the different terms of the law.|
|Allotment||The allotment is done after various analyses.||The allotment is done on the basis of turnover and activity.|
|Role||It is employed in agricultural products in India. Ensuring that they adhere to a set of Standard allotted by the Directorate of Marking.||The FSSAI License is role is to promote and aware that food products are pure and fit for consumption.|
Comprehensive Details: FSSAI License vs AGMARK
- Firstly, AGMARK certification & FSSAI license is- AGMARK is an inspection seal given for quality of Agricultural Products whereas, FSSAI Licensing includes every food item whether agricultural or non-agricultural.
- Two separate acts govern FSSAI and AGMARK. While FSSAI was established under the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006 whereas, AGMARK is covered by the Agriculture Produce (Grading and Marking) Act of India, 1937 revised in 1986.
- FSSAI License is given based on turnover and activity but for a particular Establishment. The AGMARK certification is based on the analyses.
- FSSAI helps to improve and controls the functioning of the food businesses in India. AGMARK functions to improve and control agricultural products.
For FSSAI Licence related service you can contact our experts. They will guide you for FSSAI related documentation, procedures and will explain to you the benefits of registration. You can call us at +91-8750008844.
FSSAI offices in India
Procedure to get FSSAI License
Frequently Asked Question
The full form of AGMARK is Agriculture Mark.
AGMARK is a certification made on all the agricultural products under the Agricultural Produce Act of India, 1973. It is a fusion of two words which are AG and MARK. AG proposes agriculture and MARK indicates a certification.
AGMARK is a certification mark employed on agricultural products in India, ensuring that they adhere to a set of standards established by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection an attached Office of the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare under Ministry of Agricultural & Farmers Welfare.
1)Log into the websitehttp://dmi.gov.in by clicking the icon ‘AGMARK’.
2)Apply to the concerned office of the DMI and Certificate of 3)Authorization is given after verification of the important infrastructure.
4)The licensed Chemist tests the raw material & the processed commodity before preparing it gets packed.
5)The field officers of DMI have a regular check on the commodity graded and certified under Agmark by drawing check samples from packers’ premises and market.
6)These check samples are analyzed in Regional Agmark Laboratories.
Documents are required for Agmark Registration :
1)Demand draft of Rs.1000
2)Map of the factory or the office
3)Memorandum of the company which describes its objective and the powers
4)Company registration certificate
5)List of machinery
6)Trademark registration certificate
• Copy of test report(s), duly authenticated, from independent Agmark recognized laboratory.
• Document authenticating establishment of the firm, such as Registration by Company Registrar
• State Authority or Memorandum of Article in case Applicant Firm is a Limited Company
• Partnership Deed in case the applicant firm is under Partnership.
• Name of the Applicant and the products.
• Name & Address of the Firm/ Company.
• Sample & Started Period of the product
1)Products available under AGMARK are as follows:
3)Whole spices & ground spices
7)Other products such as Honey, Compounded, Rice, Tapioca Sago, Seedless Tamarind, Besan (Gram flour)
1)Agmark adds legal advantages. It is a quality certification for agricultural produce by the Government of India, under Agricultural Produce Grading and Marketing Act, 1937 revised in 1986. Agmark certified product must show an Insignia of Agmark directed by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection(DMI), an agency of Government of India.
2)To make the products comparable in the international market the grading standards are fixed keeping in view the terms of WTO.
3)Agmark certification is an optional certification except it is made mandatory as per the provision of Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on Sales) Regulation 2011.
- Is a coup attempt possible in Egypt
- Why aren t humans purple
- Should Pakistan be kicked out of SAARC
- What is the biggest country in Africa
- What do you think of brunch
- In the Hindu religion who seeks God
- How does the Krusty Krab operate
- What vitamins and supplements do doctors use
- Is RMK a good engineering college
- What is your review of Fujifilm Cameras
- What is the atomic number of seaborgium
- What are the spiritual consequences of adultery
- How strong is Leo Messi
- What is an oxygen concentrator
- What does C programming language mean?no_redirect=1
- Who can open a commodity trading account
- How big is Maxine Waters house
- Can anyone ever be truly happy?no_redirect=1
- What is your best psychopaths on screen
- How do I earn 1 rupee daily