A Reminder About "John and I" vs. "John and Me"
A friendly reminder: Don’t say “between you and I.” And don’t say “The boss wants to talk with Bob and I” or “Thanks for meeting with John and I.”
It’s me. Me, me, me. In all those sentences, “I” is a poor choice. Yes, you could argue that the “I” form is idiomatic. But why would you want to? You’re just inviting people to look down their noses at you. And because it’s just as easy to use “me,” there’s no reason to come off like you don’t know the difference between object and subject pronouns.
And if you don’t know the difference now, you will in about thirty seconds. Here goes: “I” is a subject pronoun, which means it acts as the subject of a verb. “Me” is an object pronoun, which means it works as the object of a verb or the object of a preposition. So it’s:
I am here = I is the subject of the verb am
I believe in hard work = I is the subject of the verb believe
I knocked his block off = I is the subject of the verb knocked
Kiss me = me is the object of the verb kiss
He saw me = me is the object of the verb saw
Come with me = me is the object of the preposition with
Talk to me = me is the object of the preposition to
Easy right? Yes. And contrary to popular belief, it’s just as easy when you introduce another person. Nothing changes.
She and I are here = I is a subject of the verb are
Brad and I believe in hard work = I is a subject of the verb believe
My trusty robot and I knocked his block off = I is the subject of the verb knocked
Kiss my baby and me = me is the object of the verb kiss
He saw Craig and me = me is the object of the verb saw
Come with Claire and me = me is the object of the preposition with
Talk to Steve and me = me is the object of the preposition to
When in doubt, just try the sentence without the other person. If it’s “me” when Steve, Claire and the gang are absent, it’s “me” when they’re present, too.
Tags: conjunctions, GRAMMAR, PRONOUNS
This entry was posted on Monday, November 18th, 2013 at 3:57 pm and is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
- How were calculators created
- Why does infertility happen
- Where do farmers buy their animal food
- How do you SEO your company website
- What 3 things make a relationship?no_redirect=1
- Is a diploma after 10th good
- How does latitude differ from altitude
- What causes animal abandonment and why
- How often do you go commando
- Can AutoCAD run on a 940MX
- What writing helps for English learners
- How does Google Images find pictures
- Why does pizza dehydrate me
- What are treatments for niacin deficiency
- How do I cook cookies in microwave
- How are Mercedes cars named
- How do you prepare to play Jeopardy
- Did St Patrick ever meet the Druids