Windows 10 is finally here and it's the best version of the operating system we've seen in a while. Even better, it's a free update if you already have Windows 7 or newer.
The new operating system is available as an update starting July 29 and we recommend you upgrade. If you're ready to bring your Windows 8 or 7 machine up to the latest version of Microsoft's OS, there are few things you'll have to do to make the upgrade as painless as possible. I've outlined the key steps to follow below.
Step 1: Make sure your computer is eligible for Windows 10
- Windows 10 is free for anyone running the latest version of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 on their laptop, desktop or tablet computer.
- You can figure out which version your computer by heading to Microsoft's website.
- You must be an administrator on your computer, meaning that you own the computer and set it up yourself. It's very likely that you will not be able to update work computers that are managed by an IT department on your own.
Step 2: Back up your computer
To protect all of the files you have on your computer, I highly recommended that you back up your computer, just in case something goes wrong during the upgrade process. For a detailed process on how to do this, check out CNET's guide to preparing your PC for Windows 10.
Step 3: Update your current Windows version
You will need to install all of the updates for the current version of Windows you have on your machine. If you've set up automatic updates, you should be all set, but double-check first.
- On Windows 7, go to Start, Control Panel, System and Security and Windows Update.
- On Windows 8 and 8.1, go to Start, PC Settings, Update and recovery, and Windows Update.
- On all versions of Windows, your computer will you if there are any available updates and walk you through the process of downloading and installing them.
- You may need to check for and install updates several times to finish this process.
Step 4: Wait for the Windows 10 prompt
Now playing:Watch this: How to upgrade to Windows 10 right now
- Do you work in healthcare
- Can I have a private conversation
- How addictive is IV alcohol
- Is communist support prevalent in Singapore
- Who is God and who is Man
- Is CS better with PCB in 11th
- Can you dumpster dive in Chattanooga TN
- Do army men get free drinks
- Who produced Hannibal
- How can I differentiate love and infatuation
- What is worse than skim milk
- Does Skype have an API
- When does crime fiction go too far
- Will the earth go steampunk or cyberpunk
- What if God predetermined our fate
- What is the address of God
- Is nature inherently competitive or collaborative
- Were the Timurids Muslim