There are a bunch of issues to be picked up here. First, "Protestant" in 1789 when the Episcopal Church in the U.S. adopted it as part of its name meant "Christian but not affiliated with the Pope" and so "Protestant Episcopal" meant "Church headed by bishops but not connected with the Pope" and was an accurate descriptor of that church. The modern tendency to associate Protestant with exaltation of Biblical authority, sola fidei/sola Scriptura, evangelical doctrine was not contemplated by the founders of the American church.
Second, to say that Henry VIII "founded" the Church of England is like saying that the Governor of Massachusetts on July 4, 1776 "founded" Massachusetts. The Church of England was founded by St. Augustine of Canterbury about a thousand years previous to Hank Tudor of the many wives; what he did was to deny Papal authority to intervene in its domestic affairs, as many kings had done before in most European countries. However, as in Sweden at the same time, this time it "took" and there was no compromise and reunion as there had been when King John, Barbarossa, Philip the Fair, and several other monarchs had done much the same thing.
Anglicans claim to be "the bridge church," preserving at the same time Catholic tradition, including the Apostolic Succession, and Protestant reformation of the abuses of Medieval Catholic practice. In the past 120 years there has been a strong focus on the Catholic aspects of Anglicanism, a tendency to focus on sacramental grace, and at the same time a willingness to explore the basics of theology from new perspectives that focus on grace freely given, as opposed to legalism or authority.
So the basic answer to the question is, "Whaddaya mean by 'Protestant'?" It depends on how you're using the term. From a Roman Catholic perspective, definitely. From a Baptist perspective, no way, José. 6
- Who is Indonesia’s next president?no_redirect=1
- What was Leonardo da Vincis last name
- Can new teeth be grown
- Which time warner cable model is best
- Which app is good for car leasing
- How does the Serama chicken breed
- How is sound represented in binary?no_redirect=1
- How do television broadcasters fight commercial skipping
- How is sodium hydroxide produced
- What is mathematical philosophy all about
- What is the opposite of relativism
- What is a vesting assent
- How do buildings affect organisational behaviour
- What are the best Dionne Warwick songs
- What color represents respect
- How were the Caribbean Islands settled
- What is reactivity
- How do I become a professional traveler